Mushroom Barley Soup Recipe
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small saucepan, saute mushrooms and garlic in butter for 3 minutes. Stir in the broth, barley and soy sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the carrot, dill, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until barley and carrot are tender. Yield: 3 cups.
Reviews for Mushroom Barley Soup(4)
Sort By :
I made this with couple of changes. I used Bella mushrooms for their great flavor, added 1/2 cup Great Northern beans, used low sodium chicken broth. Will definitely make this again as I love barley soups. I may throw in some chopped kale or collard greens next time.
I love barley soups and mushrooms so this was a great recipe and perfect for fall. I used low sodium chic broth and a bit less of the soy sauce. I figure I can always add more if needed but like to go light initially. I used Bella mushrooms as I think they have more flavor than others. I will make this again. Also I added about 1/2 cup of Great Northern beans to it. Very good.
I had purchased barley to make another soup recipe and was looking for other recipes that include barley. This soup dish was a big hit with us - will be making this soup again.
YES! Friends had a "Soup Sunday" gathering recently and this is one of the soups I made. Everyone seemed to enjoy it. Several asked for the recipe.