Mushroom Barley Casserole
A dear friend shared this recipe with me years ago. My family enjoys it with meat dishes as a substitute for potatoes. It’s great to take to a potluck for a dish to pass, but be prepared to also pass along the recipe!
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups chicken broth
- In a small skillet, saute barley and onion in butter for 5 minutes or
- until onion is tender. Transfer to an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish.
- Stir in the mushrooms, almonds, soup mix and parsley. Add 3 cups
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/4 hours or until barley is
- tender, adding more broth if needed. Yield: 8-10 servings.