Mushroom Barley Casserole Recipe
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1. In a small skillet, saute barley and onion in butter for 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Transfer to an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish. Stir in the mushrooms, almonds, soup mix and parsley. Add 3 cups broth.
- 2. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/4 hours or until barley is tender, adding more broth if needed. Yield: 8-10 servings.
3/4 cup: 238 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 720mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 6g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Mushroom Barley Casserole
"Excellent !!! I added minced garlic, also fried the mushrooms till all the liquid was reduced , then chopped and fried 3 slices of bacon till crisp, added to casserole. Sonya K."
"This was so good!!! Will definitely be making again, although next time I may cut back on the amount of almonds. Definitely a keeper!"
"This is real good. The mushrooms give it a nice beefy flavor."
"Great alternative for a side dish like rice pilaf. It's a keeper, but beware: being high in fiber, it caused excess gas for both me and my husband."