Mushroom Barley Bake Recipe
The first time I tasted this barley bake was when my daughter, a busy nurse, mother and farm wife, made it one night. Its tempting flavor prompted the whole family to ask for seconds.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours YIELD:8-10 servings
- 3/4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1-1/2 cups medium pearl barley
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 6 teaspoons chicken bouillon, divided
- 4 cups boiling water, divided
- 1. In a skillet, saute mushrooms and onions in butter until tender. Stir in barley and pimientos. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Dissolve 3 teaspoons bouillon in 2 cups water; stir in barley mixture. Cover and bake at 325° for 1 hour. Dissolve remaining bouillon in remaining water; stir into barley mixture. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes longer or until liquid is absorbed and barley is tender. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 171 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 556 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC