- 3/4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1-1/2 cups medium pearl barley
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 6 teaspoons chicken bouillon, divided
- 4 cups boiling water, divided
- In a skillet, saute mushrooms and onions in butter until tender. Stir in barley and pimientos. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Dissolve 3 teaspoons bouillon in 2 cups water; stir in barley mixture. Cover and bake at 325° for 1 hour. Dissolve remaining bouillon in remaining water; stir into barley mixture. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes longer or until liquid is absorbed and barley is tender. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for Mushroom Barley Bake
Sort By :
"[quote user="petey86584OH"]Is this instant barley or barley that takes an hour?
[/quote] Medium pearl barley is the long cooking one."
"We really enjoy this barley dish. We love the flavor of the mushrooms, and the barley has such nice texture. It also reheats well, which is great since the 9x13 size is more than what we need. I used beef bouillon instead of chicken bouillon."