The first time I tasted this barley bake was when my daughter, a busy nurse, mother and farm wife, made it one night. Its tempting flavor prompted the whole family to ask for seconds.
- 3/4 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1-1/2 cups medium pearl barley
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 6 teaspoons chicken bouillon, divided
- 4 cups boiling water, divided
- In a skillet, saute mushrooms and onions in butter until tender. Stir in barley and pimientos. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Dissolve 3 teaspoons bouillon in 2 cups water; stir into barley mixture. Cover and bake at 325° for 1 hour.
- Dissolve remaining bouillon in remaining water; stir into barley mixture. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes longer or until liquid is absorbed and barley is tender. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Mushroom Barley Bake in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2001, p29
Reviews for Mushroom Barley Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review