In Wills Point, Texas, Dorothy Pritchett simmers mushrooms, onions and hearty chunks of leftover beef in a seasoned tomato sauce. "This is a tasty and satisfying main dish when served over rice," she assures.
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1 cup sliced green onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- Salt to taste
- 3 cups cubed cooked beef
- Hot cooked rice or noodles
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, onions and garlic in butter until tender. Add the tomato puree, broth, tomato paste and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beef; heat through. Discard the bay leaves. Serve over rice or noodles. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Mushroom Beef Skillet in Quick Cooking November/December 2002, p16
Reviews for Mushroom and Onion Beef Skillet
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review