Mushroom Almond Chicken Recipe
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds), skinned and cut up
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups Italian-style bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, optional
- 1. In a skillet, saute mushrooms and garlic in butter; set aside. Combine lemon and cayenne peppers; sprinkle over the chicken and let stand for 10 minutes. In a shallow bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk and salt. In another bowl, mix the bread crumbs, almonds, basil and oregano. Dip chicken in buttermilk mixture, then in crumb mixture, coating well. Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan; sprinkle with mushroom mixture. Cover and bake at 350° for 50 minutes. Uncover and bake 20 minutes longer. If desired, sprinkle with cheese and let stand for 5 minutes. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 725 calories, 38 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 299 mg cholesterol, 1,057 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 57 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.