I created this recipe over years of preparing meals for hunting camps out in the backcountry. Out there, I'd cook it in a Dutch oven over a fire. It satisfies even the biggest eaters, and it's easy to double or triple the recipe.
Featured In: Baking with Squash
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds), skinned and cut up
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups Italian-style bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, optional
- In a skillet, saute mushrooms and garlic in butter; set aside. Combine lemon and cayenne peppers; sprinkle over the chicken and let stand for 10 minutes. In a shallow bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk and salt. In another bowl, mix the bread crumbs, almonds, basil and oregano. Dip chicken in buttermilk mixture, then in crumb mixture, coating well. Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan; sprinkle with mushroom mixture. Cover and bake at 350° for 50 minutes. Uncover and bake 20 minutes longer. If desired, sprinkle with cheese and let stand for 5 minutes. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Mushroom Almond Chicken in Country Extra September 1994, p47
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Mushroom Almond Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review