Mushroom & Wild Rice Soup Recipe
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil; add dried mushrooms. Remove from heat; let stand 25-30 minutes or until softened.
- 2. Using a slotted spoon, remove mushrooms; rinse. Trim and discard stems from shiitake mushrooms. Chop mushrooms. Strain soaking liquid through a fine-mesh strainer. Reserve mushrooms and soaking liquid.
- 3. In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add fresh and baby portobello mushrooms; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 4. Stir in broth, rice mix with contents of seasoning packet, reserved dried mushrooms and soaking liquid, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender.
- 5. In a small bowl, mix water and cornstarch until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cream; heat through. Yield: 12 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
3/4 cup: 180 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 625mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Mushroom & Wild Rice Soup
"Help with a Question! On step # 4 the directions say to Stir in broth, rice mix with contents of seasoning packet... The ingredients don't say anything about a seasoning packet. Is this something that is supposed to come with the rice? If so, what brand? I'm used to just buying/cooking rice and adding seasonings."
"This soup was delicious. The only thing i did different was add some chopped rotisserie chicken and I didn't have a box of rice mix but I did have a bag of Wild rice I just added it and some garlic powder. onion powder parsley flakes and let it simmer until the rice was tender, about 30 minutes longer."
"LOVE this recipe! I had leftover cooked mushrooms -- so omitted the directions for the dried mushrooms. It was EXCELLENT! Will make again with a different variety using the dried, but definitely a good way to use leftovers up."
"Like everyone else says This is the best Mushroom soup EVER !! Next time I'm going to try a bit of sherry."
"Delicious! I've made this twice now and my only recommendation is using an all natural or organic wild rice mix such as Lundbergs. The overall taste of the soup was better and it wasn't as salty as when I made it with Uncle Bens."
"I make this same recipe! I use all fresh mushrooms and also some celery and carrot. I also have been known to add some crumbled sausage or bacon."
"YUM! This was a delicious soup recipe and will be made again in my home. I did not have access to any dried mushrooms so I omitted the whole first and second steps and just added 1/2 lb sliced fresh shiitakes with the other fresh mushrooms to the pot. It turned out with perfect consistency. My 4 year old and I each ate two bowls of this in one sitting."
"If all fresh mushrooms are used, do you need to cut back on the amount of water?"
"WOW, one of the best homemade soups I've ever made! I crave it all the time. I cut back on the broth and cream, as I think it's too runny. Only for mushroom lovers!"
"I wasn't sure how I would like an all mushroom soup, but this was yummy. Only changes I would make is using more fresh mushrooms intsead of dried because dried ones can be a bit tough even after re hydrated. I couldn't find dried porcini mushrooms so I got oyster ones and they seemed fine. Next time I will sub the dried shiitakes for 1/2 lb of fresh ones. I also used half cream half skim milk to slim it down a bit and it didn't hurt the flavor at all. I gave this recipe to a vegetarian friend and told her to just sub the chicken broth with veggie broth and it would be perfect."
"The cream sends it over the top in flavor. I crave this soup!"
"It was wonderful!! I had the shiitake but not the porcini, so I just omitted it...I added a TBSP of butter at the end after the cream just to give it some added richness...personal preference...I would definitely make this over and over again!!!"
"easy to prepare, although I could not find dried mushrooms at my local grocery, & used 1 1/2 lbs fresh. It still turned out great. Would not hesitate to serve to guests."