Mushroom & Wild Rice Soup Recipe
You can tell how much I adore mushrooms by looking at this recipe. I used four kinds of mushrooms! The wild rice mix helps make it very easy. — Mary Mcvey, Colfax, North Carolina
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil; add dried mushrooms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 25-30 minutes or until softened.
- 2. Using a slotted spoon, remove mushrooms; rinse. Trim and discard stems from shiitake mushrooms. Chop mushrooms. Strain soaking liquid through a fine-mesh strainer. Reserve mushrooms and soaking liquid.
- 3. In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add fresh and baby portobello mushrooms; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 4. Stir in the broth, rice mix with contents of seasoning packet, reserved dried mushrooms and soaking liquid, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender.
- 5. In a small bowl, mix water and cornstarch until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cream; heat through. Yield: 12 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC