- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil; add dried mushrooms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 25-30 minutes or until softened.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove mushrooms; rinse. Trim and discard stems from shiitake mushrooms. Chop mushrooms. Strain soaking liquid through a fine-mesh strainer. Reserve mushrooms and soaking liquid.
- In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add fresh and baby portobello mushrooms; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the broth, rice mix with contents of seasoning packet, reserved dried mushrooms and soaking liquid, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender.
- In a small bowl, mix water and cornstarch until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cream; heat through. Yield: 12 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Reviews for Mushroom & Wild Rice Soup
Sort By :
If all fresh mushrooms are used, do you need to cut back on the amount of water?
WOW, one of the best homemade soups I've ever made! I crave it all the time. I cut back on the broth and cream, as I think it's too runny. Only for mushroom lovers!
I wasn't sure how I would like an all mushroom soup, but this was yummy. Only changes I would make is using more fresh mushrooms intsead of dried because dried ones can be a bit tough even after re hydrated. I couldn't find dried porcini mushrooms so I got oyster ones and they seemed fine. Next time I will sub the dried shiitakes for 1/2 lb of fresh ones. I also used half cream half skim milk to slim it down a bit and it didn't hurt the flavor at all. I gave this recipe to a vegetarian friend and told her to just sub the chicken broth with veggie broth and it would be perfect.
The cream sends it over the top in flavor. I crave this soup!
It was wonderful!! I had the shiitake but not the porcini, so I just omitted it...I added a TBSP of butter at the end after the cream just to give it some added richness...personal preference...I would definitely make this over and over again!!!