Mushroom & Swiss Turkey Burgers Recipe
- 1-3/4 cups sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 tablespoons chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 slice reduced-fat Swiss cheese, cut in half
- 2 whole wheat hamburger buns, split and toasted
- 2 lettuce leaves
- 2 slices sweet onion
- 2 slices tomato
- 1. In a small skillet, cook mushrooms in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in 1/8 teaspoon salt and a dash of pepper. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the spinach, chopped onion and remaining salt and pepper. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into two patties.
- 3. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook patties over medium heat for 4 minutes. Turn and cook 3 minutes longer. Top burgers with cheese; cover and cook 3-6 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 165° and cheese is melted. Serve on buns with lettuce, onion, tomato and reserved mushroom mixture. Yield: 2 servings.
1 burger equals 371 calories, 16 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 95 mg cholesterol, 645 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 30 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.