- 1-3/4 cups sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 tablespoons chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 slice reduced-fat Swiss cheese, cut in half
- 2 whole wheat hamburger buns, split and toasted
- 2 lettuce leaves
- 2 slices sweet onion
- 2 slices tomato
- In a small skillet, cook mushrooms in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in 1/8 teaspoon salt and a dash of pepper. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the spinach, chopped onion and remaining salt and pepper. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into two patties.
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook patties over medium heat for 4 minutes. Turn and cook 3 minutes longer. Top burgers with cheese; cover and cook 3-6 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 165° and cheese is melted. Serve on buns with lettuce, onion, tomato and reserved mushroom mixture. Yield: 2 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Mushroom & Swiss Turkey Burgers
"I submitted a version of this recipe years ago for some sort of recipe contest. This is not my original recipe. Sad to see it was altered without my consent."
"I was very surprised but there was very little taste to these burgers."
"To us, these burgers tasted fine but nothing special."
"Very good--will definitely make again."