Sweet Italian sausage and pitas make mini pizzas that go together fast for an easy-and tasty-weeknight meal. Kids always have fun making their own, so invite them to help! Melissa Reindl, Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Recommended: 50 Easy Weeknight Dinners
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 package (12 ounces) whole pocketless pita breads or flatbreads
- 1-1/4 cups tomato basil pasta sauce or Alfredo sauce
- 5 slices reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 1-1/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain.
- Place pita breads on baking sheets. Spread with pasta sauce; top with cheese, mushrooms and cooked sausage. Bake 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Mushroom & Swiss Pita Pizzas in Taste of Home September/October 2014, p35
Reviews forMushroom & Swiss Pita Pizzas
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 30, 2014
"Nice basic recipe - easy for kids to help with!Add Italian seasonings or hot sausage for a spicier version.English muffins also work well as a base."