This recipe came from a "what's in the fridge?" moment, and it's so good. It makes two tarts for brunch or appetizers. —Jacquelyn Benson, South Berwick, Maine
Featured In: 50 Hearty Breakfast Casseroles
- 1 package (14.1 ounces) refrigerated pie pastry
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (about 10 ounces)
- 2/3 cup smoked salmon or lox
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 8 large eggs, divided use
- 4 teaspoons drained capers, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 teaspoons snipped fresh dill, optional, divided
- Unroll pastry sheets into two 9-in. fluted tart pans with removable bottoms; trim edges. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400°.
- Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake on a lower oven rack 10-15 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove foil and weights; bake 2-4 minutes longer or until bottom is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven setting to 375°.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir 5-7 minutes or until tender and lightly browned. Remove from pan. Add butter and mushrooms; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Cool slightly.
- Place tart pans on separate baking sheets. Divide onion and mushrooms between crusts; top with salmon and cheese. In a bowl, whisk four eggs, 2 teaspoons capers and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper; if desired, stir in 1 teaspoon dill. Pour over one of the tarts. Repeat with remaining ingredients for second tart.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 2 tarts (6 servings each).
Originally published as Mushroom & Smoked Salmon Tarts in Taste of Home April/May 2015, p40
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Mushroom & Smoked Salmon Tarts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review