We took grilled cheese up a notch with baby portobello mushrooms, bacon and cheddar. For weeknight comfort food, it’s good to the last crumb. —Blair Lonergan, Rochelle, Virginia
Featured In: 30 Beef Dinners Ready in 30 Minutes
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 8 ounces sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 8 thin slices cheddar cheese (about 3 ounces)
- 8 slices Texas toast
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, heat 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion; cook and stir 4-5 minutes or until tender. Remove from pan. Wipe skillet clean.
- Place one slice cheese on each of four bread slices. Top with mushroom mixture, bacon and the remaining cheese and bread. Lightly spread outsides of sandwiches with remaining butter.
- In same skillet, toast sandwiches in batches over medium heat 45-60 seconds on each side or until golden brown and cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Mushroom & Onion Grilled Cheese Sandwiches in Simple & Delicious February/March 2016
Reviews for Mushroom & Onion Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 20, 2016
"Delicious! The mushrooms and bacon make this very flavorful"