Mushroom & Leek Strudel Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 pounds fresh mushrooms, finely chopped, divided
- 1 medium leek (white portion only), chopped, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 sheets phyllo dough (14x9 inches)
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat. Add half of the mushrooms and leek. Cook and stir until mushrooms are lightly browned and leek is tender; remove from pan. Repeat with remaining butter, mushrooms and leek, adding garlic during the last minute of cooking. Return all to pan.
- 2. Stir in wine and cream; cook 1-2 minutes or until liquid is almost evaporated. Stir in herbs, salt and pepper. Remove from pan; cool completely.
- 3. Preheat oven to 375°. Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface; brush with butter. Layer with five additional phyllo sheets, brushing each layer. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.)
- 4. Spoon half of the mushroom mixture down center third of phyllo dough to within 1 in. of ends. Sprinkle filling with 2 tablespoons cheese. Fold up short sides to enclose filling. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side.
- 5. Transfer to a parchment paper-lined 15x10x1-in. baking pan, seam side down. Brush with additional butter. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Bake 18-22 minutes or until golden brown.
- 6. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Serve warm. Yield: 2 strudels (12 slices each).
1 slice: 100 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 135mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Mushroom & Leek Strudel
"Used dried mushrooms and puff pastry instead of phyllo. Was much faster. Delicious."
"Excellent! I used some wild mushrooms l had dried and rehydrated them. I would make this again....for sure. Janet. VFE"