Multigrain Raisin Bread Recipe
After years of searching for the perfect whole-grain raisin bread, Debra Van Den Heuvel whipped up this tasty recipe in Gilman, Wisconsin. “My family loves it, and it makes such wonderful French toast,” she says.
- 2 cups raisins
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 3/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a small saucepan, bring raisins and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup liquid. Stir oats into reserved liquid; set raisins and oat mixture aside.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in honey; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the eggs, milk powder, salt, cinnamon, whole wheat flour, 1 cup all-purpose flour and oat mixture. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a firm dough. Stir in raisins (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; shape into two loaves. Place in two 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Cover loosely with foil if tops brown too quickly. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Originally published as Multigrain Raisin Bread in Light & Tasty April/May 2007, p49
Reviews for Multigrain Raisin Bread(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 26, 2010
next time, i would add a bit more cinnamon, 1/2 -3/4 t. more....i combined dark and golden raisins....it is a very dense bread...it doesn't rise very much...i baked it about 25-30 min., til golden...
More Recipe Collections
- Bread Baking >
- Bread Recipes >
- Comfort Food Bread Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Vegetarian Bread Recipes >