Multigrain Pilaf Recipe
Packed with rice, lentils and barley, this filling side dish has a rich, nutty taste and texture. Lillian Zurock serves it often on her grain farm in Spirit River, Alberta.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- 4-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 tablespoon salt-free seasoning blend
- 2 tablespoons sherry or additional water
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute onion in oil for 2 minutes. Add the barley, brown rice, wild rice, lentils and almonds; saute 5-6 minutes longer or until almonds are lightly browned. Transfer to a 3-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 2. Dissolve bouillon in boiling water; stir in the seasoning blend and sherry or additional water. Carefully pour over grain mixture; stir to combine.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until grains are tender. Yield: 12 servings.
3/4 cup: 155 calories, 4g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 213mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 5g fiber), 6g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 0 fat.
Reviews for Multigrain Pilaf
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC