My husband and I love the goodness of food prepared with whole grains. But our children are different—their idea of good bread is store-bought soft white sandwich bread. So I developed this to appeal to their love of sweet toppings while giving them a taste of whole-grain cooking.—Ann Harris, Lancaster, California
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Maple syrup
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a small bowl,
- whisk the egg, buttermilk and butter. Stir into dry ingredients just
- until moistened.
- Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a greased hot griddle; turn when
- bubbles form on top. Cook until the second side is golden brown.
- Serve with syrup. Yield: 8 pancakes.
Nutritional Facts: 2 pancakes (calculated without syrup) equals 231 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 575 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.