“As a dietitian, I’m always hunting for healthful, homemade additions to my family’s meals, and this is a yummy one.” —Barb Troy, New Berlin, Wisconsin
- 6-1/2 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup bran flakes
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) 1% cottage cheese
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 cups all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, bran flakes, oats, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat water, cottage cheese, raisins, molasses and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until blended. Beat in eggs. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Shape into loaves. Place in three 9x5-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°, Bake 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3 loaves (16 slices each).
Originally published as Multigrain Nutrition Loaves in Healthy Cooking June/July 2011, p62
Reviews for Multigrain Nutrition Loaves
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review