Multigrain Buns Recipe
Delicious with a meal or to make a sandwich, these light and tasty rolls have a super nutty flavor.—Josie Drzewicki, Spirit River, Alberta
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. YIELD:18 servings
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 3 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup salted sunflower kernels
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons water
- Additional oats
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the whole wheat flour, oats, 1 egg, sesame and sunflower seeds, oil, butter, sugar, salt, caraway, vinegar and 2 cups all-purpose flour. Beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Shape into 18 round balls; roll each into a 4-1/2 in. circle. Place on grease baking sheets. Beat egg yolk with water; brush over buns. Sprinkle with oats. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 267 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 233 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC