Multigrain & Veggie Side Dish Recipe
- 2-2/3 cups water
- 2/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 small turnip, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery or celery root
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh spinach, torn
- 1 cup canned pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in the rice, barley and salt. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-18 minutes or until grains are tender. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a Dutch oven, saute the onion, carrots, red pepper, turnip, celery and ginger in oil until crisp-tender. Stir in the spinach, beans, soy sauce and rice mixture; cook and stir until heated through and spinach is wilted. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Multigrain & Veggie Side Dish in Healthy Cooking October/November 2008, p13
Reviews for Multigrain & Veggie Side Dish
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jun. 22, 2011
"I added cilantro to the leftovers and it gave it more life. I might try this with chickpeas next time."
Reviewed Jun. 20, 2011
"i will make this again, but probably change it up a little, maybe add an herb or seasoning (+broth) instead of the soy sauce."