Multigrain & Veggie Side Dish Recipe
“Packed with all the good things we're supposed to eat, this dish is delicious and so nice in appearance. It's fun to make, too.” Most of the 6 g of fiber in this healthy side come from spinach, pinto beans and barley. Marian Platt - Sequim, Washington
- 2-2/3 cups water
- 2/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 small turnip, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery or celery root
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh spinach, torn
- 1 cup canned pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in the rice, barley and salt. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-18 minutes or until grains are tender. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a Dutch oven, saute the onion, carrots, red pepper, turnip, celery and ginger in oil until crisp-tender. Stir in the spinach, beans, soy sauce and rice mixture; cook and stir until heated through and spinach is wilted. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Multigrain & Veggie Side Dish in Healthy Cooking October/November 2008, p13
Reviews for Multigrain & Veggie Side Dish(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jun. 22, 2011
I added cilantro to the leftovers and it gave it more life. I might try this with chickpeas next time.
Reviewed Jun. 20, 2011
i will make this again, but probably change it up a little, maybe add an herb or seasoning (+broth) instead of the soy sauce.
More Recipe Collections
- Carrot Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Side Dishes >
- Grains Side Dish Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Side Dishes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Side Dishes >
- Rice Recipes >
- Side Dish Recipes >