Multi-Grain English Muffin Bread Recipe
Carol Forcum suggests this nutty-tasting loaf. "There's no need to knead the dough, which bakes into a hearty bread with the texture of English muffins," says the Marion, Illinois reader.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/3 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add whole wheat flour, oats, wheat germ, sugar, salt and 1-1/4 cups of all-purpose flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 2. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; shape into a loaf. Coat a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan with cooking spray and sprinkle with half of the cornmeal. Place loaf in prepared pan; sprinkle with remaining cornmeal. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
One slice equals 93 calories, 1 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 110 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Reviews for Multi-Grain English Muffin Bread
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC