Multi-Grain Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
This simple and easy-to-work with recipe is sure to become a family favorite. And the wholesome cinnamon rolls will fill your kitchen with a wonderful, warm aroma. —Judy Eddy, Baldwin City, Kansas
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 15 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 6-1/2 teaspoons half-and-half cream
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter, softened
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the oats, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, butter, egg, salt and 1 cup all-purpose flour. Beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Roll into an 18-in. x 12-in. rectangle; spread with butter. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges.
- 4. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; pinch seams to seal. Cut into 12 slices. Place cut sides down in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 5. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. For icing, in a small bowl, beat the confectioners' sugar, cream and butter until smooth. Drizzle over warm rolls. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 cinnamon roll equals 240 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 251 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC