Mulligatawny Soup Recipe
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup each chopped carrot, celery and onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mace
- 6 cups chicken or turkey broth
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken or turkey
- 1 medium tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute the apple, carrot, celery and onion in butter for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in the flour, curry, sugar, salt, pepper and mace until blended. Gradually add broth.
- 2. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the chicken, tomato, green pepper, cloves and parsley; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Add rice; heat through. Discard cloves. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 160 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 925 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g protein.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.