Mulligatawny Soup Recipe
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup each chopped carrot, celery and onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mace
- 6 cups chicken or turkey broth
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken or turkey
- 1 medium tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup cooked rice
- In a Dutch oven, saute the apple, carrot, celery and onion in butter for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in the flour, curry, sugar, salt, pepper and mace until blended. Gradually add broth.
- Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the chicken, tomato, green pepper, cloves and parsley; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Add rice; heat through. Discard cloves. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Mulligatawny Soup(3)
Sort By :
Another keeper. Wonderful flavour. I increased the vegetables, used 2 small Golden Delicious apples, (chopped, they meas. around 1 cup.) Will be making this again.
This soup is amazing, and reheats beautifully for lunch the next day. I doubled all the vegetables and used drained, canned diced tomatoes and it was absolutely delicious.
Loved the taste; but it is a lot of chopping.