- simmer until meat is tender, about 2 hours. Add carrots, potatoes,
- celery and onion; cover and simmer for 40 minutes. Add corn, beans
- and peas; cover and simmer 15 minutes longer or until vegetables are
- tender. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; add to stew.
- Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Remove bay leaves; add
- parsley. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One 1-cup serving (prepared with reduced-sodium broth) equals 203 calories, 5 g fat (0 saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 239 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 15 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 meat.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.