Mulligan Stew Recipe
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch slices
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 onion, cut into eight wedges
- 1 cup each frozen corn, green beans, lima beans and peas
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1. Combine flour and pepper; toss with beef cubes. In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil. Add broth, water, bay leaves, garlic salt, oregano, basil and dill; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 2 hours. Add carrots, potatoes, celery and onion; cover and simmer for 40 minutes. Add corn, beans and peas; cover and simmer 15 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; add to stew. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Remove bay leaves; add parsley. Yield: 8-10 servings.
One 1-cup serving (prepared with reduced-sodium broth) equals 203 calories, 5 g fat (0 saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 239 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 15 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 meat.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.