This mulled wine is soothing and satisfying with a delightful blend of spices warmed to perfection. Refrigerating the wine mixture overnight allows the flavors to blend, so don't omit this essential step.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 bottle (750 milliliters) fruity red wine
- 1 cup brandy
- 1 medium orange, sliced
- 1 medium lemon, sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 1/2 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon aniseed
- 1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 3 whole cloves
- Cinnamon stick, star anise and orange twist
- In a large saucepan, combine the wine, brandy, orange, lemon, sugar and nutmeg. Place remaining spices on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag. Add spice bag to wine mixture.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; cover and simmer gently for 20 minutes. Cool; cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Strain; discard fruit and spice bag. Reheat wine; serve warm in mugs. Garnish as desired. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Mulled Wine in The Taste of Home Cookbook 2007
Reviews for Mulled Wine
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review