Mulled Wine-Poached Apples
For a satisfying touch of sweetness at the end of a meal without a heavy dessert, try these ruby red apples. The spice and wine sauce makes them very special.&$151;Taste of Home Test Kitchen
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 bottle (750 milliliters) merlot
- 1/2 cup Mulling Spices
- 6 medium apples, peeled and cored
- In a Dutch oven, bring wine and Mulling Spices to a boil. Reduce
- heat; carefully add apples. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or
- just until apples are tender, turning once.
- With a slotted spoon, remove apples to a large bowl. Bring wine
- mixture to a boil; cook, uncovered, until liquid is reduced to about
- 1/2 cup. Cool. Pour over apples; cover and refrigerate for at least
- 1 hour before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 poached apple with 4 teaspoons syrup equals 240 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 12 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, trace protein.