Mulled Wine Jelly Candies Recipe
I don’t drink alcohol, so after I’ve had company over for dinner, I have to do something with the leftover wine. These unusual jelly candies make a nice hostess gift during the holidays. I make the mulled red wine version for the winter holidays, and a white wine variation in spring and summer.—Jennifer Mack, Pensacola, Florida
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 4 orange peel strips (3x1 inches each)
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 3 whole cloves
- 1/2 cup powdered fruit pectin
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1-1/3 cups light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup sugar
- In a small saucepan, combine wine, orange peel, juice, cinnamon stick and cloves; bring just to a simmer (do not boil) over medium-low heat. Reduce heat; simmer gently, uncovered, 10 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Let stand 1 hour.
- Line a 9x5-in. loaf pan with foil; coat foil with cooking spray. Strain wine mixture, discarding orange peel and spices. Return mulled wine to saucepan; stir in pectin and baking soda. Heat over medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine sugar and corn syrup; bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in wine mixture. Continue to boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; skim off foam, if necessary. Immediately pour into prepared pan. Let stand until set, about 5 hours or overnight.
- For coating, sprinkle 2 tablespoons sugar over a 14x12-in. sheet of parchment paper. Invert candy onto sugar. With a knife dipped in warm water, cut candy into 1-in. squares; coat with remaining sugar.
- Transfer candies to a wire rack. Let stand, uncovered, at room temperature overnight. Store in airtight containers up to 1 week. Yield: 1-3/4 pounds (about 3 dozen).
Originally published as Mulled Wine Jelly Candies in Country Woman December/January 2014, p25
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Mulled Wine Jelly Candies(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Candy Recipes >
- Christmas Candy >
- Christmas Candy >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Country Woman Desserts >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Gift Recipes >
- Holiday Candy >
- Make Ahead Desserts >
- Make-Ahead Recipes >
- Mother's Day Dessert Recipes >
- Mother's Day Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Country Woman Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Desserts >