- 1 bottle (750 milliliters) fruity red wine
- 1 cup brandy
- 1 medium orange, sliced
- 1 medium lemon, sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 1/2 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon aniseed
- 1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 3 whole cloves
- Cinnamon stick, star anise and orange twist
- In a large saucepan, combine first six ingredients. Place remaining spices on a double thickness of cheesecloth. Gather corners of cloth to enclose seasonings; tie securely with string. Add spice bag to wine mixture.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer gently, covered, 20 minutes. Cool; refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Strain; discard fruit and spice bag. Reheat wine; serve warm in mugs. Top as desired. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Mulled Wine in The Taste of Home Cookbook 2007
Reviews for Mulled Wine
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 23, 2011
"Made this for New Year's Eve last year and it was a huge hit. Making it again for Christmas Eve tomorrow. Be careful though, it's strong stuff!"
Reviewed Nov. 9, 2011
"Love this recipe. It was a huge hit at my house. My husband asks me to make it all the time."