- 1 bottle (750 milliliters) fruity red wine
- 1 cup brandy
- 1 medium orange, sliced
- 1 medium lemon, sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 1/2 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon aniseed
- 1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 3 whole cloves
- Cinnamon stick, star anise and orange twist
- In a large saucepan, combine first six ingredients. Place remaining spices on a double thickness of cheesecloth. Gather corners of cloth to enclose seasonings; tie securely with string. Add spice bag to wine mixture.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer gently, covered, 20 minutes. Cool; refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Strain; discard fruit and spice bag. Reheat wine; serve warm in mugs. Top as desired. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews forMulled Wine
"Made this for New Year's Eve last year and it was a huge hit. Making it again for Christmas Eve tomorrow. Be careful though, it's strong stuff!"
"Love this recipe. It was a huge hit at my house. My husband asks me to make it all the time."