Mulled Red Cider Recipe
- Cinnamon sugar, optional
- 1-3/4 cups apple cider or unsweetened apple juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 bottle (750 milliliters) dry red wine
- 1. If desired, moisten the rims of seven mugs with water. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar on a plate; dip rims in cinnamon sugar. Set mugs aside.
- 2. In a large saucepan, combine the cider, sugar, cinnamon sticks and cloves. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
- 3. Add wine and heat through. Remove from the heat. Cover and steep for 10 minutes; strain. Serve in prepared mugs. Yield: 7 servings (3/4 cup each).
3/4 cup (calculated without cinnamon-sugar garnish) equals 163 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 10 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, trace protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.