- 1 cup pitted ripe olives
- 1 cup pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1 jar (7-1/2 ounces) marinated artichoke hearts, drained
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 6 submarine buns, split
- 1 pound sliced deli ham
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced hard salami
- 12 slices process American cheese
- In a food processor, finely chop olives and artichokes. Add the mayonnaise, capers and garlic salt; cover and process until blended. Spread over the cut sides of buns. Layer the ham, salami and cheese on bun bottoms; replace tops.
- Wrap each sandwich in foil; place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Muffuletta Subs
"Insult to REAL MUFFULETTA---processed American cheese??? Surprised there isn't SPAM listed as a Main Ingredient!!!"
"I have never before played "nutrition police," but can the sodium and fat listed possibly be right? The sodium is 1.5 times the recommended daily allowance, and the fat is 85% of the RDA. I can see that there are a lot of salty and fatty ingredients, but I can't imagine that each individual sandwich could be that high?"
"I've made these dozens of times, I use mozzarella cheese slices and a almost 1 tsp garlic powder (not garlic salt) and a dash of sea salt and these are the BEST!!! A friend said these were so good, he thought it was a subway sub! Very yummy. My husband takes them for his lunch the next day."