I received this authentic recipe from a New Zealand pen pal. My family loves the naturally sweet flavor of the honey, and I like it because it's not loaded with preservatives.
- 6 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1-1/2 cups toasted wheat germ
- 1-1/2 cups all-bran cereal
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1-1/2 cups honey
- 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cups chopped dried apricots
- 1. Preheat oven to 275°. In a large bowl, combine oats, wheat germ, cereal and coconut. Pour into two greased 13x9-in. baking pans.
- 2. Bake 20 minutes, stirring once. Heat honey in a saucepan until thin, about 5 minutes. Pour half into each pan; stir to coat evenly.
- 3. Return to the oven for 20-30 minutes or until golden, stirring every 10 minutes. Stir in walnuts and apricots. Cool, stirring occasionally. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 11 cups.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 347 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 31 mg sodium, 67 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 11 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC