Muenster Mushroom Chicken Recipe
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup Marsala wine or 1/4 cup white grape juice plus 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 slices Muenster cheese, halved
- 1. In a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook mushrooms in 2 teaspoons butter until tender. Stir in the wine or grape juice and broth; cook 3-4 minutes longer. Set aside and keep warm.
- 2. In a shallow bowl, combine eggs and milk. Place bread crumbs in another shallow bowl. Dip chicken in egg mixture, then in crumbs. Combine the parsley, salt, garlic powder, thyme and pepper; sprinkle over chicken.
- 3. In a large nonstick skillet, cook chicken in remaining butter for 6-7 minutes on each side or until juices run clear. Place chicken on a broiler pan; top with cheese. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve with mushroom mixture. Yield: 4 servings.
1 chicken breast half with 1/4 cup mushrooms equals 344 calories, 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 147 mg cholesterol, 634 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 31 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 fat, 1-1/2 starch.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.