- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup marsala wine or 1/4 cup white grape juice plus 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 slices Muenster cheese, halved
- In a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook mushrooms in 2 teaspoons butter until tender. Stir in the wine or grape juice and broth; cook 3-4 minutes longer. Set aside and keep warm.
- In a shallow bowl, combine eggs and milk. Place bread crumbs in another shallow bowl. Dip chicken in egg mixture, then in crumbs. Combine the parsley, salt, garlic powder, thyme and pepper; sprinkle over chicken.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook chicken in remaining butter for 6-7 minutes on each side or until juices run clear. Place chicken on a broiler pan; top with cheese. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve with mushroom mixture. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Muenster Mushroom Chicken
"My breading didn't stick to the chicken very well - maybe b/c I used egg substitute? But otherwise, very good!"
"I baked the chicken at 375 for 30 mintes and put the cheese on and baked it until the cheese melted."
"Try with SWISS CHEESE - should be tasty - also - use some of the melting kinds of italian cheeses - like PROVOLONE or ASSIAGIO or MOZZARELLA !!"
"Thanks for this recipe. I'm going to have to try it. I have the meunster cheese, I have the mushrooms ~ in fact I have everything but the chicken! But that is easily remedied. Looking forward to this one.Lorraine "