- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup marsala wine or 1/4 cup white grape juice plus 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 slices Muenster cheese, halved
- In a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook mushrooms in 2 teaspoons butter until tender. Stir in the wine or grape juice and broth; cook 3-4 minutes longer. Set aside and keep warm.
- In a shallow bowl, combine eggs and milk. Place bread crumbs in another shallow bowl. Dip chicken in egg mixture, then in crumbs. Combine the parsley, salt, garlic powder, thyme and pepper; sprinkle over chicken.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook chicken in remaining butter for 6-7 minutes on each side or until juices run clear. Place chicken on a broiler pan; top with cheese. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve with mushroom mixture. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Muenster Mushroom Chicken
"My breading didn't stick to the chicken very well - maybe b/c I used egg substitute? But otherwise, very good!"
"I baked the chicken at 375 for 30 mintes and put the cheese on and baked it until the cheese melted."
"That was a grate mail for one it was quick and easy to make,i loved it. Thanks for sharing pdmuddyone,"
"Try with SWISS CHEESE - should be tasty - also - use some of the melting kinds of italian cheeses - like PROVOLONE or ASSIAGIO or MOZZARELLA !!"
"Thanks for this recipe. I'm going to have to try it. I have the meunster cheese, I have the mushrooms ~ in fact I have everything but the chicken! But that is easily remedied. Looking forward to this one.Lorraine "