Muenster Bread Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 4 cups (1 pound) shredded Muenster cheese
- 1 egg white, beaten
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in milk. Add the butter, sugar, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- In a large bowl, beat egg and yolk; stir in cheese. Punch down dough; roll into a 16-in. circle.
- Place in a greased 9-in. round baking pan, letting dough drape over the edges. Spoon the cheese mixture into center of dough. Gather dough up over filling in 1-1/2-in. pleats. Gently squeeze pleats together at top and twist to make a top knot. Allow to rise 10-15 minutes.
- Brush loaf with egg white. Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Serve warm. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Reviews for Muenster Bread
Sort By :
I make this bread a few times a year. It is great!
My daughter made this for a New Year's Eve party. I'd give 10 stars!
This recipe is a family favorite now. The bread has a great density to it that balances well with the muenster cheese. For variety, we will sometimes add pepperoni to it and dip our slices in pizza sauce.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Appetizers >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bread Appetizers >
- Bread Baking >
- Bread Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Finger Foods & Finger Food Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Appetizers >