Mud Cake Recipe
This rich cake is ideal for special occasions. —Priscilla Prescott, Forest City, North Carolina
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons baking cocoa
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup marshmallow creme
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped pecans
- 1. Coat a 6-in. springform pan with cooking spray and dust with flour; set aside. In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa and salt; stir into creamed mixture just until blended. Stir in pecans.
- 2. Transfer to prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 3. For frosting, in a small saucepan, combine the butter, milk and cocoa; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; beat in the confectioners' sugar and vanilla.
- 4. Place springform pan on a wire rack. Immediately spread marshmallow creme over hot cake. Drop 2 tablespoons of frosting over creme; cut through with a knife to swirl. Cool completely.
- 5. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; remove sides of pan. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with pecans. Yield: 6 servings.
1 slice equals 416 calories, 21 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 78 mg cholesterol, 327 mg sodium, 57 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC