Mozzarella Vegetable Strata Recipe
A generous layer of sauteed vegetables adds fresh garden flavor to this moist, meatless casserole from Wendy McGowan of Fontana, California. Try it for brunch, lunch or dinner.
- 1/2 cup sliced zucchini
- 1/3 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley or 1-1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh basil or 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 2-3/4 cups cubed bread
- 1/2 cup shredded Galbani® Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1. In a small skillet, saute the zucchini, mushrooms and onion in oil until tender; drain. Stir in parsley and basil.
- 2. In an 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray, layer half of the bread cubes and mozzarella cheese. Top with vegetables and remaining bread and cheese. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Pour over cheese. Sprinkle with tomato.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 2 servings.
1 piece equals 371 calories, 17 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 234 mg cholesterol, 785 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 20 g protein.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC