Mozzarella Vegetable Strata Recipe
A generous layer of sauteed vegetables adds fresh garden flavor to this moist, meatless casserole from Wendy McGowan of Fontana, California. Try it for brunch, lunch or dinner.
- 1/2 cup sliced zucchini
- 1/3 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley or 1-1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh basil or 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 2-3/4 cups cubed bread
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1. In a small skillet, saute the zucchini, mushrooms and onion in oil until tender; drain. Stir in parsley and basil.
- 2. In an 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray, layer half of the bread cubes and mozzarella cheese. Top with vegetables and remaining bread and cheese. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Pour over cheese. Sprinkle with tomato.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 2 servings.
1 piece: 371 calories, 17g fat (6g saturated fat), 234mg cholesterol, 785mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 20g protein.
Reviews for Mozzarella Vegetable Strata
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC