- 1/2 cup sliced zucchini
- 1/3 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley or 1-1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh basil or 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 2-3/4 cups cubed bread
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and chopped
- In a small skillet, saute the zucchini, mushrooms and onion in oil until tender; drain. Stir in parsley and basil.
- In an 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray, layer half of the bread cubes and mozzarella cheese. Top with vegetables and remaining bread and cheese. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Pour over cheese. Sprinkle with tomato.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Mozzarella Vegetable Strata in Cooking for 2 Summer 2007, p22
Reviews for Mozzarella Vegetable Strata
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 11, 2015
"A nice healthy simple dish for 2. Once the summer Farmer's Market gets going, I will probably make again, adding more fresh veggies. Also, since my son-in-law is vegetarian, I will double the recipe when he and my daughter are in town."