"I received the recipe for this rich bread-and-tomato dish from a relative," says Gloria Bisek of Deerwood, Minnesota. "We love it in fall when tomatoes from our garden are plentiful. It's a favorite at potlucks, too," she adds.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 4 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 8 cups soft bread cubes
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Place a single layer of tomatoes in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking
- dish; set aside. in a large bowl, combine bread cubes, 2 cups of
- cheese, bacon, butter, celery, onion, eggs, garlic salt and oregano;
- mix well. Spoon over the tomatoes. Top with remaining tomatoes;
- sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through.
- Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 370 calories, 25 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 120 mg cholesterol, 654 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 14 g protein.