- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup prepared Italian salad dressing
- 1-1/2 cups cubed bread
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 pound ground sirloin
- 3 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 jar (26 ounces) marinara sauce
- Hot cooked pasta
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble pork and beef over mixture; mix well. Cut mozzarella into eighteen 1/2-in. cubes. Divide meat mixture into 18 portions; shape each around a cheese cube.
In a large skillet, cook meatballs in oil in batches until a thermometer inserted in the meat reads 160°; drain. In a large saucepan, heat marinara sauce; add meatballs and heat through. Serve over pasta.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meatball mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, gently stirring and adding a little water if necessary. Serve with pasta. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Mozzarella-Stuffed Meatballs
"This is a great recipe. We like to add Italian sausage instead of ground pork for some extra flavor."
"I like to use Newman's Italian dressing, I also am liberal with the herbs. If you have any left over, they make a wonderful meatball sandwich."
"I made these meatballs, following the recipe to a 'T.' For me, they were just OK. If one were to eliminate the salad dressing, I really don't think these meatballs would have any taste at all. I probably won't make again. I actually like better the ones sold at the meat counter in one of the supermarkets in town :("
"My husband loved them!"
"I was worried my husband wouldn't like these because he doesn't eat a lot of cheese, but to my surprise he couldn't get enough! (Make sure to enclose the meat around the cheese very well or it will leak out.)"