It’s fun to watch my friends eat these meatballs for the first time. They’re pleasantly surprised to find melted cheese in the middle. These meatballs are also great in a hot sub sandwich.
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup prepared Italian salad dressing
- 1-1/2 cups cubed bread
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 pound ground sirloin
- 3 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 jar (26 ounces) marinara sauce
- Hot cooked pasta
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble pork and beef over mixture; mix well. Cut mozzarella into eighteen 1/2-in. cubes. Divide meat mixture into 18 portions; shape each around a cheese cube.
In a large skillet, cook meatballs in oil in batches until a thermometer inserted in the meat reads 160°; drain. In a large saucepan, heat marinara sauce; add meatballs and heat through. Serve over pasta.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meatball mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, gently stirring and adding a little water if necessary. Serve with pasta. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Mozzarella-Stuffed Meatballs in Taste of Home October/November 2006, p31
Reviews for Mozzarella-Stuffed Meatballs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review