Mozzarella-Stuffed Italian Meatballs Recipe
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 pound ground veal
- 16 fresh mozzarella cheese balls, drained and patted dry
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- Marinara or spaghetti sauce, warmed
- 1. In a large bowl, combine eggs and Worcestershire sauce. Add the onions, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, basil, oregano, garlic, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Crumble the beef, pork and veal over mixture; mix well.
- 2. Divide into 16 portions. Shape each portion around a mozzarella ball.
- 3. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Drain on paper towels.
- 4. Serve with spaghetti or marinara sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
2 meatballs (calculated without spaghetti and marinara sauce) equals 281 calories, 14 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 131 mg cholesterol, 418 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 26 g protein.
Reviews for Mozzarella-Stuffed Italian Meatballs
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.