I'm particularly fond of these tasty snacks because they're baked, not fried. Cheese is one of my family's favorite foods. Being of Italian descent, I cook often with ricotta and mozzarella cheeses. -Mary Merchant, Barre, Vermont
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 12 sticks string cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 cup marinara or spaghetti sauce, heated
- Place flour in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, beat eggs and water. In a third shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and pepper. Coat cheese sticks with flour, then dip in egg mixture and coat with bread crumb mixture. Repeat egg and bread crumb coatings. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet; drizzle with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 6-8 minutes or until heated through. Allow to stand for 3-5 minutes before serving. Serve with marinara or spaghetti sauce for dipping. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Mozzarella Sticks in Taste of Home April/May 1995, p27
Reviews for Mozzarella Sticks
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review