- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 12 sticks string cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 cup marinara or spaghetti sauce, heated
- Place flour in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, beat eggs and water. In a third shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and pepper. Coat cheese sticks with flour, then dip in egg mixture and coat with bread crumb mixture. Repeat egg and bread crumb coatings. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet; drizzle with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 6-8 minutes or until heated through. Allow to stand for 3-5 minutes before serving. Serve with marinara or spaghetti sauce for dipping. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Mozzarella Sticks
"A definite CROWD PLEASER . . . even my picky kiddos LOVED them!! They even requested them for our Super Bowl Sunday spread!!I added the melted butter to the bread crumb mixture . . . I also cut my string cheese in thirds to make more of a mozzarella cheese bite . . . on the second bread crumb application I pressed in the bread crumbs. I had NO problems with cheese oozing out or soggy breading!! I layered my cheese bites on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and slapped them in the freezer to set for about 30 minutes . . . then I bagged them in a freezer bag and froze them until I was ready to bake them. I also baked mine @ 425.In addition, I added an extra 1/2 teaspoon of Garlic Powder and used only 1 1/2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning."
"I had no problem with my string cheese oozing. When I first took them out of the oven, the breading was slightly soggy, like one reviewer mentioned. Since my guests were late in arriving, I turned the oven back to 180 to hold, and when I took them out a half hour later they had gotten a nice firm crust like I had fried them. My guests were surprised when I told them I made them. I would give them 5 stars after they crisped up."
"Had high hopes for this. I followed the recipe exactly as directed. I breaded each stick separate and made sure they were coated so no cheese would ooze out while baking. All but one didn't ooze and the breading was very soggy. My cheese loving kids didn't like them. I think it has more potential if deep fried!"
"I was wondering, could you fry these?"
"Not as good as I had hoped-it's not worth making by hand. I'll probably just buy them in future"