Mozzarella Meat Loaf Recipe
My children were not fond of meat loaf until I "dressed up" this recipe with pizza flavor. Now the five children are grown and have families of their own, and they still make and serve this hearty, moist meat loaf. — Darlis Wilfer, Phelps, Wisconsin
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup saltine cracker crumbs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (8 ounce) Ragú® Homemade Style Pizza Sauce
- 3 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese, halved
- Green pepper rings, optional
- Sliced mushrooms, optional
- 2 tablespoons butter, optional
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- 1. Mix beef, eggs, crumbs, milk, Parmesan cheese, onion, salt and oregano. Shape into a loaf and place in a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 1-1/4 hours or until no pink remains; drain.
- 2. Spoon pizza sauce over loaf and top with mozzarella cheese slices. return to oven for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- 3. Meanwhile, if desired, saute green pepper and mushrooms in butter; arrange on top of meat loaf. Sprinkle with parsley if desire. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC