- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce, divided
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tube (8 ounces) refrigerated crescent rolls
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, 1/3 cup spaghetti sauce, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- On a piece of heavy-duty foil, pat beef mixture into a 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Sprinkle 1 cup cheese and parsley to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side and peeling foil away while rolling. Seal seam and ends. Place seam side down in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour; drain. Unroll crescent dough; seal seams and perforations. Drape dough over meat loaf to cover the top, sides and ends; seal ends. Bake for 14-18 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160° and crust is golden brown. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake 1 minute longer. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Using two large spatulas, carefully transfer meat loaf to a serving platter. Serve with remaining spaghetti sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Mozzarella Meat Loaf Wellington
"If you use 2 beaten eggs this will hold together better. This recipe needs just a little punching up but not much. Spinach (7 oz can drained) and not parsley was a good suggestion and some garlic pwr made a difference. I used Vodka Sauce instead of Marinara Sauce."
"I love this recipe. But I put spinach instead of parsley and sometimes sliced mushrooms in the middle. I also prefer pizza dough."
"This was okay. I had trouble getting the roll to stay together. Seemed like a lot of work for just an average result. Will stick with my standard meatloaf recipe in the future."
"I've made this many times and my husband and I really like it. It looks fancy, but is pretty simple to make."
"This recipe is great! My family of 5 just loves it!! Big hit with the kids."