Mozzarella Meat Loaf Recipe
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup saltine cracker crumbs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (8 ounce) pizza sauce
- 3 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese, halved
- Green pepper rings, optional
- Sliced mushrooms, optional
- 2 tablespoons butter, optional
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Mix beef, eggs, crumbs, milk, Parmesan cheese, onion, salt and oregano. Shape into a loaf and place in a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 1-1/4 hours or until no pink remains; drain.
- Spoon pizza sauce over loaf and top with mozzarella cheese slices. return to oven for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, if desired, saute green pepper and mushrooms in butter; arrange on top of meat loaf. Sprinkle with parsley if desire. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Mozzarella Meat Loaf
Sort By :
I made this for the first time about 5 yrs ago. I thought it was the BEST meatloaf in the world!
I love this recipe BUT I changed it to make it better. It ALWAYS disappears! Use 1 pound of beef and 1 pound of Country Pork Sausage. Leave out the salt (unless you feel that you really need it). Instead of saltine crackers, use Ritz Crackers. It is so moist and has a really good flavor.
I liked this recipe, it was yummy there are only a couple things I would change/add. I loved the sauce and cheese on top I think if you added some of the sauce in your original mixing it would give it and even yummier flavor! I would put only one egg in there if you go with adding more sauce. If you are a garlic person you could also add some of that in mix as well. All around though I good recipe, and easy to follow. Next time I think I will try some of that deliciousness that was suggested on the top too!
I never liked meat loaf as a kid and now when I make this recipe my kids love it. I use ground venison instead of beef and italian bread crumbs for the crackers. After it is done we slice it and put the sauce and cheese on the individual slices. (That way if you have a traditionalist they can still do the ketchup) Very good.
This is my go-to meatloaf recipe. I have been making it for several years now, ever since I found the recipe in a Taste of Home booklet in the magazine rack at the grocery store. I don't change a thing with the recipe. Several family members and friends have asked for the recipe as well and I gladly share!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Meat Loaf Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Meat Loaf >