My husband and I enjoy mozzarella marinara at our state fair and though we'd try to make our own version at home. Our recipe calls for convenient egg roll wrappers instead to messy batter. The homemade marinara sauce is fast and flavorful.—Ellen Borst, Genoa City, Wisconsin
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 24 egg roll wrappers
- 24 pieces string cheese
- Canola oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil. Add the tomatoes,
- tomato paste, water, sugar, salt and bay leaf. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes or until
- Meanwhile, place an egg roll wrapper on a work surface with a point
- facing you. Place a piece of cheese near the bottom corner. Fold
- bottom corner of wrapper over cheese; roll up just until cheese is
- enclosed. Fold sides of wrapper over top. Using a pastry brush, wet
- the top corner with water. Roll up tightly to seal, forming a tube.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry