- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 24 egg roll wrappers
- 24 pieces string cheese
- Canola oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, sugar, salt and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, place an egg roll wrapper on a work surface with a point facing you. Place a piece of cheese near the bottom corner. Fold bottom corner of wrapper over cheese; roll up just until cheese is enclosed. Fold sides of wrapper over top. Using a pastry brush, wet the top corner with water. Roll up tightly to seal, forming a tube. Repeat.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry mozzarella sticks, a few at a time, for 1 minute or until golden brown, turning occasionally. Discard bay leaf from marinara sauce. Serve with the mozzarella sticks. Yield: 2 dozen (3 cups sauce).
Reviews for Mozzarella Marinara
Sort By :
"One other change, I don't use diced tomatoes or tomato paste - I use crushed tomatoes and then judge the water based on how thick I want it. I also add fresh basil and oregano. YUM"
"Love LOVE this recipe. It's a hit as an appetizer, a late snack, or a quick supper! I add fresh herbs whenever possible and I always let a tomato sauce simmer on low for a few hours so all the flavors can 'intermingle'. The pizza sticks are SO easy to make - I add a thin slice of deli salami or pepperoni, then the mozza stick before I roll it up. Everyone loves these and it is frequently requested."