Mozzarella Basil Bruschetta Recipe
"This simple recipe makes a quick and light appetizer for hungry guests or family," says field editor Cynthia Bent of Newark, Delaware. "Just like pizza, you can add whatever you desire each time you make it."
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 25 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 6 slices Italian bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese, halved
- 1. Cut each slice of bread in half; place on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush with oil.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the tomato, basil, pepper and salt. Spoon 1 tablespoonful over each piece of bread; top with cheese and remaining tomato mixture. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 piece equals 94 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 167 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC